A schedule for the 2013 IlliAAC Conference has been posted and can be found here. Or by scrolling over the “2013 Conference Sessions” menu button at the top of the website. We are looking forward to meeting up with everyone and learning about what Advisors across UIUC are doing.
IlliAAC is proud to host the 5th annual IlliAAC Advising Conference which is scheduled for Friday, December 13, 2013 from 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. at the NCSA Building. At this one-day event, academic professionals from around campus will come together and share ideas, talk about trends, and develop professionally. This year’s theme is: Keep Calm and Advise On
National Center for Supercomputing Applications
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
1205 W. Clark St., MC-257
Urbana, IL 61801
The following topics will be presented at the conference for descriptions click HERE:
· Making the Most of Appreciative Advising
· Asking Better Questions
· IT’S TRUE! You Don’t Get a Second Chance to Make a First Impression: Professional Etiquette at Work
· Who is Your Favorite Superhero…and Other Strategies to Help Your Students Identify Career Interests
· Managing Distressed and Distressing Students
· Learn To Use Or Refresh Your Social Media Skills
· Peer Advising During Peak Periods-Letting Students Do What They Know Best
· Study Abroad Guide for Academic Advisors
· Incorporating Career Advising into Your Program by Partnering with Alumni
· So you want to be a teacher? Demystifying teacher education and licensure
*The keynote speaker this year is from NACADA
The cost of the conference is $10 for current IlliAAC members, and $20 for new members (includes $10 one-year membership dues). The fee covers breakfast and lunch and all conference materials. Payments should be sent to Aaron Surratt and may be made by cash, check (written to “IlliAAC”), or JV (more information on payment on the registration form).
Please register by December 6th.
- 8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m.- Participant check-in, light continental breakfast- NCSA Lobby/Atrium and welcoming remarks- NCSA 1122
- 9:00 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.- Keynote- NCSA 1122
- 9:40 a.m. – 10:25 a.m.- Program Session I- NCSA 1122, 1040
- 10:35 a.m.—11:20 a.m. – Program Session II- NCSA 1122, 1040
- 11:30 a.m.—12:15 p.m. – Program Session III- NCSA 1122, 1040
- 12:15 p.m.—1:15 p.m.- Lunch- Atrium
- 1:15 p.m.—2:00 p.m. – Program Session IV- NCSA 1122, 1040
- 2:10 p.m. — 2:55p.m.- Program Session V- NCSA 1122, 1040
- 3:00 p.m. — 3:30p.m. – Announcements, Wrap Up & Giveaways Must be present to win!- NCSA 1122
If you have any questions about IlliAAC or the Annual Advising Conference, please contact:
Assistant Director of Undergraduate Studies, Academic Advisor
(217) 300-5003 email@example.com
Student Legal Services 4:00pm – 5:00pm 3057 Lincoln Hall. Happy Hour for further conversations at Firehaus!
Purpose of Student Legal Services
– Student Legal Service is to inform students of practical aspects of the law as applied to their individual problem. In addition, in-court representation is available in many cases.
– Priority is given to matters for which a student would be financially unable to retain an attorney. This is determined by income guidelines established by the Student Legal Service Plan. It is believed that a majority of the students will qualify for individual representation under those guidelines. Income guidelines do not apply to landlord/tenant cases.
Office of Inclusion and Intercultural Relations Presentation on the Culture Houses around Campus. Special thanks to Rory G. James for organizing a great event and panel.
October 23, 2013 General Meeting Main Topic: Learning about the different culture houses and their services 9:00 – 11:00am
Bruce Nesbitt African American Cultural Center
Room: Main Lounge (1st Floor)
708 S. Mathews Avenue
Urbana Illinois 61801
Topic: The cultural houses and what services they provide and what concerns they hear from students.
We will provide coffee for all attendees!
For more information about the various Cultural houses on campus you can visit http://oiir.illinois.edu/our-centers
We hope to see you all there!
IlliAAC is proud to welcome you to the first general meeting of the year! Please join us on Tuesday, September 17th from 9-11am in 2240 Digital Computer Lab. Drinks & Snacks will be provided! Topics for this meeting will include the counseling center and transfer student services and resources. We are also encouraging all advisors to also bring any brochures or pamphlets they would like to share with the group.
We will also have membership forms available if you would like to join or renew your membership to IlliAAC. Only $10 – it’s by far one of the best deals on campus!
Agenda for September 17, 2013 General Meeting
Room 2240 Digital Computer Lab (DCL)
9:00 – 9:10 am – Welcome and Introductions
9:10 – 9:25 am – E-Board and Committee Announcements
- Past Chair – Jen Heinold
- Chair – Kerri Green
- Incoming Chair – Todd Spinner
- Secretary – Hollie Heinz
- Treasurer – Aaron Surratt
- Assessment – Barbara Anderson
- Technology – Arif Fazel
- Professional Development – Melissa Newell
- Membership – Katie Clark & Elaina Bielser
- Student Affairs – Rory James
9:25 – 9:55 am – Counseling Center
Sarah Rinehart and Katherine Earl
9:55 – 10:45 am – Transfer Student Services & Resources
Abbey Wolfman – Office of Dean of Students
Holly Herrera – ACES
Cory Ohms – LAS
10:45 – 11:00 am – General Announcements, Reminders, and Brochure Sharing
Be Sure to check out the Upcoming Events page for a schedule of the 2013-2014 General Meeting dates. We will be sure to keep the blog updated regularly once the semester gets underway. We will be sure to post about events, any major advising news, and any alterations to the schedule. Also be sure to follow us on Twitter @ILLiAAC
3:00 – 4:00 pm
Conference Room 514, IUB
Lucas Anderson from the Center for Teaching Excellence will be speaking about how you can create learning objectives. Learning objectives help answer the question, “What do we want students to learn through academic advising?”