The current selection includes two chapters from the just released, 2nd edition of The New Advisor Guidebook. Join IlliAAC as we read and discuss these chapters that ask us to reflect on and overcome our assumptions about various student populations. We have a Google Doc available where advisors from across the University of Illinois can discuss the material ahead of the webinar. We look forward to a robust discussion on this extremely timely topic.
Webinar: “The Five Questions: Understanding Yourself and Your Students.”
Day: Wednesday, March 9th
Time: 12:00 to 1:30 p.m.
Where: Psychology Building, Room 708
Click HERE to Reserve your Spot
Thank you everyone for another wonderful IlliAAC Conference
As promised, here are the presentations:
2015 IlliAAC Conference Presentations
Topic: The Career Center’s First Destination Survey and more
- Learn about The Career Center’s First Destination Survey
- View preliminary results from last year’s graduation class
- Update on the Career Center’s Major Mapping Project
- The goal of the What Have I Learned from My Major worksheets is assist students in thinking about what skills they have gained from their major. In addition, we ultimately hope that students will communicate these skills and experiences to employers or graduate programs.
114 Huff Hall
When: Thursday, November 12
Time: 9:00 – 11:00 a.m.
(PPT available to download)
Friday, October 30th from 11:30am-1:30pm
Asian American Cultural Center Lounge
1210 W. Nevada St., Urbana
How do the everyday, sometimes unconscious, insults and bias seep into our relationships with our advisees and co-workers? How can we raise our awareness and skills to address these “microaggressions” within our work? Join Ross Wantland from Diversity & Social Justice Education for an interactive training focused on the hidden biases we all possess, and ways we can be more intentional in our work as academic advisors.
Snack Byte: Division of Intercollegiate Athletics (DIA)
When: Thursday, October 29th
When: 12:00 – 1:00 p.m.
Where: Irwin Academic Services
Join IlliAAC and The Division of Intercollegiate Athletics Academic Services for a discussion on student athletes.
- Services provided by the DIA
- The Role of Academic Advisors/DIA Counselors
- High School Recruiting Visits
Follow them on Twitter: @IlliniIrwin
Irwin Academic Center
Topic: Campus Cultural Centers
- Learn about the various Cultural Houses on campus
- We’ll discuss the recent Microaggression Report (Read the Report)
- How can you create a safe, welcoming space for students
Asian American Cultural Center
When: Tuesday, October 20
Time: 3:00 – 5:00 p.m.
The call for proposals to present at the annual IlliAAC conference is now open! The conference will take place Friday, December 11 from 8:30am-4:30pm. Each breakout session will be 45 minutes long.
Submit your proposals here: http://go.illinois.edu/illiaac2015
Proposals are due on Sunday, October 25. We can’t wait to see what great topics you’ll come up with!
Now that the semester is off to a start, we would like to bring everyone back together and continue networking. We hope that you will join us for an IlliAAC Luncheon at Legends Bar and Grill on September 25th from 12-1:30pm. Lunch will be on your own and Legends will reserve a special area for all of us to get together! Legends is located on Green Street (Legends Menu)
If you are able to join us, please email Stefanie Flores-Freeman at firstname.lastname@example.org